It was established in 1888 by the Brothers of St. Patrick (Patrician Brothers). The Principal and the senior staff were all Irishmen till   the late sixties. The school is still being run by the Patrician Brothers.
The school has a strong focus on football and athletics and places equal importance on academics. The school is often referred to as the "Sporting Giant of The Nilgiris", having won the Nilgiris District.